BIRC staff wants you and your family to experience activities and exercise that will help create lifelong memories and healthy habits. While the possibility of injury in any action is always possible, we want to minimize any risks wherever possible. Youth users must adhere to our policy of safety and facility use.
Youth Orientation Checklist
Junior Fitness Certification Checklist
Youth Orientation and Junior Certifications can be scheduled at the following times: Wednesday at 4:30p or Saturday at 10:00a.
Youth Orientation and Junior Fitness Certifications are accessible to Monthly Users and are one-time certifications. If you would like to schedule one for your child, you can contact the front desk at 206-842-5661. For more info, please get in touch with Marie Figgins via email at email@example.com.
General Facility Use Access
- While inside the main building, youth ages 10-13 who have not undergone a Youth Orientation must be within direct sight and easy reach of a responsible adult (18 years or older) at all times.
- All youth users under 18 must have a liability waiver filled out by a parent or guardian before entering the facility. User policies regarding area usage and adult supervision bind youth. All youth under 16 must attend a Youth Orientation before accessing the fitness floor.
Fitness Floor Access
Before using any BIRC equipment, youth ages 10-12 must attend a Youth Orientation, and youth ages 13-15 must attend a Junior Fitness Certification course. For more information, please contact the Fitness and Exercise Specialist at 206-842-5661 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Youth must be at least ten years of age to be on the fitness floor, regardless of whether they are working out or not, and directly supervised (in direct eyesight) by a responsible adult (18 years or older) until the age of 14, unless they have passed the Junior Fitness Certification. Youth under 14 years of age will be removed from the fitness floor if a responsible adult member (18 years and older) is not actively monitoring them.
- For safety concerns, all youth are limited to the equipment personally approved by a BIRC personal trainer.
- Youth must be 16 years of age to be in the free-weight area unless they work with a BIRC personal trainer in a specified class or have prior approval from a BIRC personal trainer.
- All guests must check in before entering the gymnasium.
- Youth ages 10-12 may use the gym with direct adult supervision after completing a Youth Waiver and signing a Code of Conduct.
- Youth ages 13 may use the gym with an adult present within the BIRC after completing a Youth Waiver and signing a Code of Conduct.
- All youth aged 14 and over may use the gym without adult supervision after completing a Youth Waiver and signing a Code of Conduct.
- All youths must check in at the Front Desk.
- No running or loud behavior.
- Limit cardio to 20 minutes when others are waiting for equipment.
- Wipe down equipment after use.
- Do not sit on equipment or benches if others are waiting.
- Do not drop weights.
- No food on the fitness floor or in the gymnasium.
- No horseplay or improper use of equipment that could damage or cause injury to oneself or others.
- Adding or “trying out” equipment is not allowed until you have been adequately instructed and approved by a BIRC trainer.
- Proper attire and closed-toed shoes are required.
- All personal property must be stored in a locker or brought out to the gymnasium (if using that space).
- No sneaking in other youth or adults without proper payment.
- Must be 16 years of age or over to use the steam room and sauna.
- Youth not adhering to the guidelines and rules will get one warning. A second offense will result in a month’s suspension from BIRC.
- Anyone caught sneaking a guest into any area of BIRC will be sent home and suspended from BIRC for one month. The guest will also be banned from entry to BIRC for one month. A second offense will result in suspension for three months. A third offense will result in membership termination and an indefinite ban from using BIRC.