BIRC staff wants you and your family to experience activities and exercise that will help create life long memories and healthy habits. While the possibility for injury in any activity is always possible, we are want to minimize any risks wherever possible. It is especially important that youth users adhere to our policy of safety and facility use.
Youth Orientation and Junior Certifications can be scheduled at the following times: Wednesday at 4:30p or Saturday at 10:00a.
Youth Orientation and Junior Fitness Certifications are free to Monthly Users and are one-time certifications. To schedule one for your child, contact the front desk at 206.842.5661. For more info, please contact Marie Figgins via email at email@example.com.
General Facility Use Access
- While inside the main building, youth ages 10-13 who have not undergone a Youth Orientation must be within direct sight and easy reach of a responsible adult (18 years or older) at all times.
- All youth users under the age of 18 must have a liability waiver filled out by a parent or guardian before entering the facility. Youth are bound by user polices regarding area usage and adult supervision. All youth under the age of 16 must attend a Youth Orientation before accessing the fitness floor.
Fitness Floor Access
Prior to using any BIRC equipment, youth ages 10-12 must attend a Youth Orientation, and youth ages 13-15 must attend a Junior Fitness Certification course. For more information, please contact the Fitness and Exercise Specialist at 206-842-5661 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Youth must be at least 10 years of age to be on the fitness floor, regardless of working out or not, and directly supervised (in direct eyesight) by a responsible adult (18 years or older) until the age of 14, unless they have passed the Junior Fitness Certification. A youth under 14 years of age will be removed from the fitness floor if a responsible adult member (18 years and older) is not actively monitoring them.
- For safety concerns, all youth are limited to the equipment personally approved by a BIRC personal trainer.
- Youth must be 16 years of age to be in the free-weight area, unless they are working with a BIRC personal trainer, in a specified class, or have prior approval from a BIRC personal trainer.
- All guests must check in prior to entering the gymnasium.
- Youth ages 10-12 may use the gym with direct adult supervision after completing a Youth Orientation.
- Youth ages 13 may use the gym, with an adult present within the BIRC, after passing the Junior Fitness Certification.
- All youth 14 and over may use the gym without adult supervision, provided that they have completed a Youth Orientation and/or Junior Fitness Certification.
- All youths must check in at the Front Desk.
- No running or loud behavior.
- Limit cardio to 20 minutes when others are waiting for equipment.
- Wipe down equipment after use.
- Do not sit on equipment or benches if others are waiting.
- Do not drop weights.
- No food on the fitness floor or in the gymnasium.
- No horseplay or improper use of equipment that could damage or cause injury to oneself or others.
- Adding or “trying out” equipment is not allowed until you have been properly instructed and approved by a BIRC trainer.
- Proper attire and closed toed shoes are required.
- All personal property must be stored in a locker or brought out to the gymnasium (if using that space).
- No sneaking in other youth or adults without properly payment.
- Must be 16+ years of age to use the steam room and sauna.
- Youth not adhering to the guidelines and rules will get one warning. A second offense will result in a month suspension from BIRC.
- If anyone is caught sneaking a guest into any area of BIRC, they will be sent home and suspended from BIRC for one month. The guest will also be banned from entry to BIRC for one month as well. A second offense will result in suspension for three months. A third offense will result in membership termination and an indefinite ban from using BIRC.